🧧🐉Happy (actual) Lunar New Year of the Dragon today ft. cute Rejuvenation God Yomigami! 🏮🌠 [大神 / Ōkami Lunar New Year Project]
Because I had to do another take were I do a more stylised, “cute” version haha
Here’s chibi Yomigami! Still fierce and cheeky looking haha
I went for this composition since it shows how chained Yomigami is to his painting/scroll.
I keep seeing it as a huge skateboard if it was flipped vertically/upside down haha
Based on some websites, the orbs represent pearls/”Wish Fulfilling Jewels” and in Buddhist iconography it represents the sun bringing light to all darkness & granting true joy. Generally it’s known as the orb of wisdom. It’s also associated with spiritual energy, prosperity, power, immortality, thunder or the sun/moon (often dragons are shown chasing it or fighting over a flaming pearl).
Ah if you notice that there’s quiet periods and then suddenly there’s lots of posts – well it’s because of time sensitive special occasions like Lunar New Year! Look I posted a bunch of art pieces, blog posts and videos this week and I don’t know if I’m reaching peeps oof
Also here’s: The Ultimate Guide to Chinese New Year: Day by Day Breakdown by Five Thousand Years since I am not super involved with my own cultural heritage. Though I don’t know if this fully applies to me since Cantonese is my family’s language and China/Taiwan/HK is full of diversity.
So technically LNY season is weeks/at maximum the 1 month before (for celebrations, preparations) and days/weeks/1 month after the lunar new year date :0 Similar to how Christmas season involves preparation/lead up to the actual Xmas dates :0
Feeling bummed from metrics again; ugh this is part of the journey but it sucks
I am bummed that my youtube video and short didn’t do too well compared to previous videos and then I lose a subscriber…I can’t keep depending on “subscriber and view numbers go up” and obsess over metrics to validate me indeed! I should know better but emotionally I’m getting sucked into it again nooooo!!
My youtube channel isn’t something that would ever take off (lacking in entertainment and education value) and I’m learning to accept that most aren’t interested in my art and art journey…
I’ll still try little things along the way if it feels right for me :’) I’m still posting anyway…
Well I don’t want to feel depressed over a numbers game and feeling like I should quit every time there’s lows (which happen all/most of the time). I don’t know if it’s worth posting if not many are interested. But hey I do not plan to put too much effort in production when I remind myself: I am just documenting my journey and it’s not for everyone!
But undoubtedly it’s discouraging 🙁
And I guess I’m a sensitive snowflake so let me vent again haha :'<
I’ve been doing this since 2011 and I don’t believe I’ll ever get “big” as the artists with big followings that I look up to – I don’t have that entertainment and charisma factor nor do I package what I do for other people too much. I am doing this in my limited personal time to learn, create and express myself and it’s not about doing what I think people want after all. It’s hard because platforms shove metrics in your face and I keep getting sucked into it as a form of passive feedback because most people on the internet are also passive or not really active on social media anyway (thanks youtube, instagram, twitter, bsky, etc).
And most people don’t care, I don’t feel energised nor genuine “engaging”/collaborating with other accounts (it feels like an obligation, business transaction and forced rather than genuine connection that developed over time) and that’s why the number of engaged peeps are abysmal across my social media platforms.
Whelp I need to stop looking at my youtube channel subscriber number, I took it out as a browser tab at least >:(
I already block my twitter metrics and youtube studio metrics! Too bad I can’t do it for other places.
I’m still posting my art shenanigans so thank you if you’re still sticking around – thank you as I repetitively vent about my ongoing struggles and document my art and learning journey :’)
Prediction/horoscope notes for the Year of the (Wood) Dragon (for superstitious fun, not being serious with this as usual)
Apparently the Dragon came 5th in the zodiac race because he was busy saving a village from drought with rain, saving another village from flooding by drinking it all and saving the Rabbit from the Wolf so it ended up being after the Rabbit in the race. I didn’t know this and there’s probably other variations/reasons out there. There is the agricultural side of things and how Dragons control the wind, rain, rivers and seas, weather, harvests and consequently wealth too.
The Wood Dragon this year is all about the Earth, stability, honesty, loyalty, growth, confidence, creativity and flexibility. They yearn for support and love and cannot stay alone for too long but find it difficult to return such affection. (Yeah I’m quite deadpan and not expressive) They’re independent thinkers, dreamers, are ambitious, generous, charismatic, passionate and adventurous.
Weaknesses: may be a bit arrogant, domineering, temperamental, self centred, gullible, “they know best”, care too much in that they’re overbearing, possessive and desperate. Can be impatient when anxious and consequently may give up too easily on their goals.
This year the Dragon sign for some reason offends Tai Sui/Chinese year system god / God of Age when in the spotlight and can bring bad luck, obstacles and challenges. Apparently it can be overcome by pleasing him by matching his values & using lucky charms?
Ugh here we go again – again I don’t think this is true or accurate since it’s essentially vague horoscopes and more like general life advice/warnings, reminders and a spring board to gauge how your career, love life, finances and health are going haha
- pursue your dreams, express your ideas and expand horizons
- be careful with competition in the workplace and stay diligent
- well I am a hermit and have much to learn – which keeps me anxious and interested – I don’t know haha
- not a good career year, will get ignored and it’s not easy to make money this year??
- well this industry is facing lots of bad things happening too so 🙁
- well I am already taking a financial cut by working part time; I need to be more frugal especially when I have pricey medical scans to pay later in the year ugh :<
- career/work wise I have lots to juggle and learn along the way
- some say break ups or lots of conflict will happen + conflict with romance
- one site says dragons are lucky in love and romance and “will no longer walk alone in life”
- yeah doubtful – they’re just making it up with contradicting predictions ;P
- Dragons are attracted to people with a “special kind of grace”/”divinely ordained talent”
- true, people I find inspiring, attractive, charismatic, comfortable, relaxing and if I see things that I lack and/or inspiring in them
- also if there’s a lot of common ground and differences that complement each other; I don’t feel as lonely struggling and getting support with my weaknesses
- both in the compatible relationship would value practicality, common interests, finding joy in the little things, intelligence and feeling safe
- together working towards your own little world and common goals with someone
- working together for each other’s dreams, celebrate each other’s success and being there during the failures and bad times too
- no need or room for jealousy, insecurity – it’s safe to be with each other
- being each other’s home?
- not sure if this will ever happen for me
- Dragons must be more down to earth and remember that love is more about care than perfection
- oh I have long accepted that I’m going to make mistakes, will miss some/a lot of subtlety and will strive to check about expectations (if I feel brave and safe to)
- Love compatibility the most with people born of the Rat, Monkey and Rooster
- the least compatibility is Dog
- I think I know someone who is of the Dog and it was not comfortable around them but that’s not really a considerable sample size to prove anything haha
- valuing trust and privacy with each other with maturity and confidence?
- both looking for joy in marriage life?
- once found, Dragons will guard their special person like treasure
- I don’t know about guarding when people have agency and I don’t want to be horribly obsessive, anxious and insecure haha
- hopefully I won’t struggle with that too much – I’d want to be mutually secure, safe and trusting in the first place
- the least compatibility is Dog
- if you’re single, forget about finding someone when there’s so much going on in Dragon’s mind (this year?)
- I mean not wrong and I am overwhelmed and slow
- it is funny that this year I actually get explicitly told to not bother finding someone haha
- previously I get told I need to make an effort or stay single
- well everyone has to with relationships and what’s wrong with single ;P
- I really need to waste less time away reading silly, tropey romance stuff…
- offending Tai Sui can weaken immune system??
- try not to push yourself too far and treat your body well as you face the emotional, mental and health challenges this year
- oh no I’m called out with staying awake too long
- rest well, exercise regularly and getting enough rest
- whoops with last one with lack of sleep
- lucky things
- red and purple for luck and avoiding trouble?
- 1, 6, 7 and numbers with these digits (another place says 6, 8 so there’s no consistency)
- gold, silver, grayish white (another place says Cyan Blue, Purple)
- dragon flowers, bleeding heart glory flower (another place says bamboo, cyclamen)
- April, May, August (converted from lunar months)
- rabbits, dogs and dragons for accessories
- blue green colours (another place says black, red)
- 3, 8 (another place says 4, 9)
- June and July (WHAT? Why my bday month is unlucky for me, why…?)
- not going to take this too seriously
Earth Dragons are taciturn introverts who care little about fame or fortune. They’re talented and have a superb ability to get things done, although they’ll continue to shy away from public recognition or the limelight.
Despite their low-key presence, Earth Dragons are conquerors and will never be satisfied with easy work—they need challenges to propel them forward and difficulties to overcome. It’s the only path to happiness for them.
As an Earth Dragon myself, it feels vaguely true since I don’t have the “clout” nor presence and I am stubborn with the work and challenges I care about :’) But I also am someone who usually avoids doing risky things so I don’t know about being a conqueror! What does conqueror mean? For skills and projects – perhaps?
With fame, I don’t want the attention on me but more on my art and rambles. Yet the internet is all about the personality and I don’t have an entertaining one. I don’t know if I want to waste time working on those weaknesses when that means pretending to be someone I’m not 🙁 Well public/online person is a thing.
With fortune, I mean I would like to have money and stability so to not worry about survival, buying things and spend time doing things I want – just as long as I’m not risking more of my mental, emotional and physical well being to do it :’)
Hey here’s some Chinese calendars where they have predictions too!
I check them yearly and laugh at it :’)
- “Don’t be too tired” – why you call me out again like this
- quick tempered – it depends on how much patience I have left and if stress been building up too much
- master of success – well this is subjective and my sad, insecure brain immediately thinks about my lack of “clout” and engaged audience, whyyyy
- wow the top calendar page is more positive than the bottom one :’)
- “avoid gossips and stay low profile” – well I guess my plan to not do games week this year is validated haha
- yep more frugality and now the fear of getting scammed
- the romance advice is brutal haha
- see what I mean by negative predictions!!
- though depends if people do actually want to be together with someone
- “challenging when things don’t map out as planned”
- yes because anxiety and and then I’d be scrambling to adapt and plan things over again
- or if it’s expected then I just reflect on what to do next
- I don’t know about brave – I’m a reserved, low energy coward haha
- Luck prediction
- wow I already manage ongoing levels of stress and here it says there’s more and things to deal with and tolerate??? Oh noooooo
- Love Prediction
- wow the shopping place is telling me to buy fancy clothes, I see what you’re doing – you want me to shop at this shopping place haha
- nah people won’t notice me nor want to talk with me ;P
- ah compatibility with Rat or Monkey again
Again I’m not expecting too much accuracy with these broad strokes/predictions haha
Apparently 2024 will be a bad year of less than ideal outcomes for Dragons?? Next year would be better??
It’s the Year of the Dragon!! Why is it still bad for us??? 🙁
Yeah every time I read these predictions each year there’s always negative stuff mixed in there for Dragons. Are they putting Dragons down a notch or something? :<
It works as reminders with health and all that with their vague, fluffy advice I guess :’) It reminds me that I’m getting older – I don’t feel too different though :0
Whelp shall continue to just do the best I can! Happy Lunar New Year!
I hear the CNY songs and they haunt me haha
And generally tired – I’m not supposed to work/clean today :’)