Fanart / Buddy & me! Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team DX demo thoughts & update
In this SundayLeonieRamble:
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon demo thoughts
- Personal thoughts on covid19
- Interesting Finds
- Short ramble on “Is there purpose in life”?
- Personal ramble on art and business
Buddy & me! (Squirtle & Charmander)
I played the demo a few months back and the sorting interview said I was Charmander! It is fate yay ;D!! I picked Squirtle as my partner for the Rescue shenanigans and it’s a pretty chill game where you can play as the pokemon (:
The game has been out two days ago!! I don’t think I’ll play the full game because I found the dungeon crawling tedious but I am watching someone else play it and a family member will play it eventually :’) Good relaxing music, something to play when you want to turn off your brain. It’s a tad pricey as a remake however :0
Personal ramble section!
Amidst a lot of depressing global covid19 news – reports of infections and deaths, travel bans, cancellations of crowded events, closing down stores/schools/restaurants/institutions/businesses, people not quarantining themselves and limited sanitary and food supplies due to panic buyers, please take care of yourself, wash your hands and stay safe and kind during these coming months/this year!
Seeing a mix of scary and selfish sides of humanity overall and I don’t know how to feel about it. Toilet paper is gone, pasta, rice, sanitiser, milk, oats, let alone face masks. It’s harder to get long-lasting supplies and things must be used sparingly – I’ll have to be more smart with supplies and eat less rice/pasta food and milk? I’m just sad now as I’m already a hermit 🙁
As I understand it, all we can do is hold out and do the best we can until a vaccine is hopefully developed and tested by next year. Some businesses allow working from home, provide leeway with coming to work so people can avoid crowded peak trains/public transport and providing hand sanitisers in more public places. I’m hoping the shortages blows over and goes back to normal. Again, stay safe and kind everyone :<
Random Interesting finds! And updates
I guess I might bring this section back whenever I feel like it ;D
- Goodness finally there’s an amazing Goro Majima figure (not that I want it)! I had my eye on Posket figures instead but I don’t dare to buy more since I don’t have a stable job and I don’t have room :’)
- Oh the Universal Studios Japan Sailor Moon ride I missed out on last year :0 I feel weird seeing them the sailor scouts in 3D and I don’t know if it’s working 100% well.
- I find myself watching youtube videos where people attempt to date and others where they debate on deep topics, knowing that it’ll go on the internet? It just made me appreciate how hard it is to find people compatible with you, everyone has their own preferences when it comes to attraction, values, beliefs and lifestyle and we can’t really build emotional connection during initial conversations and meetings. Then again, they have a camera on them so who knows who they are like in person.
- watched World of Horror gameplay last month and currently since there’s a lot of story. It’s telling that I’m somewhat desensitised as I wasn’t spooked and instead it’s “oh interesting twist there” when different mysteries and stories are played out.
- New trailer on new animated movie Connected where I feel like they spoiled the twist here – A Goofy Movie plus The Incredibles plus Robots? I don’t know about the messiness of the story here but the art and animation style looks pretty cool.
- I liked this essay on Shrek’s soundtrack
- I don’t like the Artemis Fowl trailer. It’s not the same story anymore. At all. I don’t want to watch it anymore 🙁 The Scoob! trailer looks great, just don’t know about the product placement jokes, it feels like the Sonic movie 😛
- Bird riding on a mini skateboard haha
- A buddy was playing Eliza and I’m currently watching a playthrough; super fascinating ethical topics about AI machine learning with therapy. And there’s an ace character too :0
- I cleaned out someone who was inactive on my email blog mailing list. All the best!
- Slowly finishing up Wellington Paranormal season 2 this month! It’s a New Zealand silly, charming, comedy, “supernatural thing of the week” series. And I find out there’s a third season upon googling :0!!
There is no purpose in life? Some recent existential thoughts.
Some say life is more about being in the present, appreciating and living. Not sticking yourself in a box due to self pressure because we’re all evolving in some form or another. Push forward, create, let things unravel, try things, make mistakes and keep learning.
Makes me question: What’s easy, natural and art I want to express? I feel like I enjoy free-styling art in the moment and other times I like to explore deep into the subject matter. But this leads to the next thing:
“I want money to make art, Not make art to make money” – Walt Disney
It’s a problematic catch 22 quote here because personally I do want money to get by and make art. And in order to do that you need to make art to make money.
Or get a day job. This I’d rather not do because I have a history of struggling where I fit in within society and since becoming another sociable/employable person takes up almost all of my emotional energy, I might as well quit doing art as a career. I’d rather not go back to that dark place when I thought art was impossible. If it really gets dire for me, I will suck it up out of necessity and keep art as a side hobby…? That didn’t work for me in the past and art just recedes into nothing though. Don’t worry, I’m still doing okay and still too stubborn right now because I’ve already tried, burnt out and failed at doing normal careers (like high school teaching) :’)
Digressing! Reality is that you need to balance both creativity and business to make it work. And it involves incredibly hard work with a good helping of luck and who you know.
Doing art for money involves a lot of constraints to creativity, expectations of clients/customers, where art is what the client/consumer/mass audience considers as art (it’s not about you), you need to make art people want to pay for, it needs to appeal to them, tends to be safe/formulaic and/or needs to conform to the brand to make the company successful or client look good. This applies more for large corporations and depends on the niche and the target audience too!
I hear experiences of artists saying that usually it’s their personal work *or* projects that are least profitable where it’s most creatively fulfilling. Not all art is worth money and not all work will appeal to people so apparently one must deal with lower pay and fewer customers if you want creativity to lead in your work. They say that artists do not make much money with art, there’s always a ceiling when compared to other more business-centric industries.
Does it really have to be this way? I want to challenge this sad, jaded, discouraging generalisation but I am at a loss to how it can be done. Exceptions are super rare :<
So I guess artists have to do what they enjoy in their own personal time and lack any social life or balance elsewhere? This was what I did when I was a studio artist – I strove to do personal art when I could and I didn’t have much of a social life (more because I was an extreme introvert and enjoyed solitary time the most). And often my creativity gets used up at work and from the social environment, so I spend my off time recovering really. It was frustrating when I felt burnt out from art altogether. I didn’t feel capable of juggling projects because I wanted to do my job the best I could, firstmost. I couldn’t keep burning my candle at both ends like other artists can. At least I was still earning a living which is also super important ;’)
Reaching out to more people?
Some content creators talk about making podcasts in 2020 to reach larger audiences. Reach out to more people through podcasting and/or youtube videos (that is, if you’re teaching and making products from teaching/mentoring others). Then again, they say that while they’re shilling their own products and courses on podcasting too.
Does this blog translate well into being a podcast when there’s visuals and art involved and I’m not trying to promote courses, books or products? Maybe I should make an audio, casual rambly version of my monthly patron-only post? Or make a commentary video over a slideshow of images? I’ve asked this before here with no answers but I’m asking anyway! Hey I’m considering it because it makes it more special for patrons, I don’t know haha
Yes I’ve done youtube and podcasting before on a newbie level but I don’t enjoy doing youtube videos regularly and I feel that people need podcasting to educate or entertain their ears with stories or people to interview. I’m just blogging my personal experiences here but I enjoy writing them :S
Both youtube and podcasting are time consuming and I feel like it’s taking away from art making, blog posting and learning time. Maybe I can do weird asmr drawing videos one day? I don’t know :S
Digressing again! All I can do is believe in my own work and progress and hope I can reach more people by continuing to show up.
This all came to be because of recommended videos on people telling you to blog, podcast, make youtube videos, do affiliate marketing, sell products and so on and it feels terribly overwhelming and that I’m missing out on reaching more people.
I feel like I’m acting out of fear, rather than with intention. I really need to work on my own confidence :’)
Creative doubts too
Some artists insist on making comics and our own stories. Right now I personally don’t know if I have the patience or interest in scripting several times my own stories at the moment when I’m just keen to do the art and design side of things. I’m more of a comic strip/short story/illustration person so I might be leaning towards doing that instead of a long running graphic novel. One day I’ll make my own “grand intellectual property” somehow:’)
Let’s see how I go as I take baby steps!
Don’t mind me, I’m just thinking aloud and not letting my doubts eat away at me. Frustration, ambiguity and mistakes are part of the creative journey after all. I don’t claim to know what’s the best thing to do.
Anyhoo, I’m grateful that I have some kind patron support! I need to continue exploring, learning and doing my best! I feel more better now as always rambling on; thanks for bearing with me with my doubts!
Oh and this was a thing too! Thanks for making my time here alright! ;D
Gah I feel old too :’) I deleted the original tweet because technically it’s not my own art ;P
Thanks so much for your support & for reading! You help me keep going! ʕ ✿˵•ᴥ•˵ ʔ ♡
Please take care this Sunday and the coming week ahead! Catch you next time! (: