Week 16 A Profound Patch of Prehistoric Proportions
Leonie’s small blog island says hullo! (:
Are you cozy? I hope you are cozy for another week of updates!
Let’s go crazy! Journal Time!
- train adventuuures
- Environment studies: these are from last week’s update but I was generally taking things at a slower pace today as I did some more. I have narrowed my moodboard and references down to something more manageable but I won’t have time to draw studies from them.
- train adventures
- Environment design for CwR (Cooking with Rex project): Picked out plantlife with Will and Victor then spent the morning honing on composing background elements (otherwise I could be making environment studies forever!).
I found figuring what suitable kind of plants to use was taking me longer than figuring out how I want to frame the shot; it was mostly experimentation and what was meant to be a thumbnail became a fully planned sketch! Still I did have a general idea in my head how I want it to be composed but mid ground elements were the unknown for me. I got feedback from the encouraging Heath and generous Brendan for approval so that Will could start modeling the 3D elements for the environment.
It seems like Will’s going to be 3D modeling everything after all while I don’t have to 3D model a thing, and luckily I’ve been able focus into concepting, character/prop/environment/shot designing and co-art directing throughout this whole project! I am very glad I was able to just focus on my area of specialisation so far! I’m slowly going to move onto matte painting for the backgrounds next and maybe texture painting depending on whether time allows.
- Environment blocking-in: starting to finalise with the concepts and design for the matte painted backgrounds but I’ve developed a headache (Will probably passed on his headache!) and had to take a break for the rest of the night.
- train adventuuures
- After nutting out the film sequence with Victor once again, I drew placeholder Title and End screens for him to put into his 3D animatic. Victor came up with the ideas and I drew them.
- Drew a sprite for a 2D smoke effect test (been figuring it out with Victor and Callum showed us the way in Nuke) and looked for meteor references
- Environment blocking in: I got a bit more time but still working at it
- Rough lighting thumb for the environment
- Environment blocking in individual plants and composing these as I go. It’s taking me a longer while (the whole day with breaks of course) as I haven’t done this before and I’ve been keeping the elements as flexible as possible.
As you will discover below, currently it has lineart to help clarify what
plants are there but it is making it look too
busy/realistic rather than stylised. This is so that Will would be able to distinguish how
to model the 3D plants and for me to know what I am painting. In the final version it will all be painted over
without any lines for the matte paintings and it would be more washed
out in details as well. I’ve
distinguished the plants now, blocked in the composition so far (and I’ve taken out a handful of plants too) where the coloured plants are 3D plants for Will to model. It is vibrantly colour coded (so it’s not the final colours!) so that the bluer the
plant is, the farther it is away from the camera, relative to nearby
plants. All the greyed out parts are the matte painting sections. There might be little basic 3d cube-like rocks scattered on the jungle floor to add some attention to detail too.
I know matte paintings aren’t usually approached this way as this is time consuming, but I’ve been able to move each plant around as I keep nitpicking and refine the composition by having the plants clearly defined and flexible. It allowed me to experiment like one does when playing with lego!
- Environment colour block in: got Will’s feedback and a basic colour plan was needed for basic texturing to take place. Colours will still be subject to change as the lighting needs to be taken to account. I guess the following colours are placeholders (as lighting is not taken into consideration and some things are too saturated in places). I didn’t expect that making these placeholder colours would take such a while!
- Environment lighting plan: painting time! Now I am pushed into defining what I’ve drawn. I have learned that I need to paint rocks more! Actually, I need to paint more in general (looks around shamefully).
- Environment lighting painting continued as I hope I’m going at it in the right direction
- Brief team meeting on the Cooking with Rex project
- Finally I have decided to post art updates over at my personal facebook
instead of my facebook page since Tuesday. Feel free to hit the
“follow” button to keep up to date with this blog if you’re the facebook
kind of person. (: Funny that I seemed set in keeping the facebook page running a few weeks ago but upon realising that since I don’t use my personal facebook anyway, I might as well manage updates over there instead and possibly get some feedback from friends I know.
Reflection for the Week
Overall been working at doing my first “proper” environment design and matte painting and am learning as I go. The Cooking with Rex project only has a week left and it’s going to be even crazier in the coming months!
To readers of my blog: Hopefully the way I’ve laid out my posts make sense to you, the way I write is easy to read and that I’ve ironed out almost all grammar mistakes, otherwise let me know with some helpful feedback.
What a leafy week! Thanks for looking! (:
Until next time, Leonie