Are you cozy? I hope you are cozy for another week of updates!
Let's go crazy! Journal Time!
- train adventuuures
|Drawing tired/bored people when they're not looking and before they move off!|
- Environment studies: these are from last week's update but I was generally taking things at a slower pace today as I did some more. I have narrowed my moodboard and references down to something more manageable but I won't have time to draw studies from them.
|Average sized tree studies some from Burning safari concept art and most from Google images photos; trying explore interesting shapes and variety and keep the focus on jungle-like plantlife!|
|Rocks, vines, foliage/leaves and waterfalls isolated and in focus|
|Plantlife studies suitable for mid ground to foreground elements I have in mind. I isolated these elements as I figure out what can be modular in either 2D or 3D form.|
|Studies from environment art and photos I like (The Croods' concept art being one of them)|
|Environment photo studies!|
- train adventures
|I was barely managing to hide what I was drawing; it was cramped in the train today.|
- Environment design for CwR (Cooking with Rex project): Picked out plantlife with Will and Victor then spent the morning honing on composing background elements (otherwise I could be making environment studies forever!).
It seems like Will's going to be 3D modeling everything after all while I don't have to 3D model a thing, and luckily I've been able focus into concepting, character/prop/environment/shot designing and co-art directing throughout this whole project! I am very glad I was able to just focus on my area of specialisation so far! I'm slowly going to move onto matte painting for the backgrounds next and maybe texture painting depending on whether time allows.
- Environment blocking-in: starting to finalise with the concepts and design for the matte painted backgrounds but I've developed a headache (Will probably passed on his headache!) and had to take a break for the rest of the night.
- train adventuuures
|It wasn't intentional buuuuuut she's apparently sitting on her head.|
|More heads and a random hand. I had to use ninja skills as I had to make sure people didn't see me looking at and drawing them! No shady sunglasses this time!|
- After nutting out the film sequence with Victor once again, I drew placeholder Title and End screens for him to put into his 3D animatic. Victor came up with the ideas and I drew them.
|The layout needs improvement but the placeholder suffices for now! I plan to design this thing properly after the matte paintings. Hat versus Head ratio not consistent here.|
|Ignore the tongue. Now that you're looking at the tongue, yes it's clearly not as tangled as I would have liked but I will redraw and redesign this placeholder image! *insert groovy elevator music*|
- Drew a sprite for a 2D smoke effect test (been figuring it out with Victor and Callum showed us the way in Nuke) and looked for meteor references
- Environment blocking in: I got a bit more time but still working at it
- Rough lighting thumb for the environment
- Environment blocking in individual plants and composing these as I go. It's taking me a longer while (the whole day with breaks of course) as I haven't done this before and I've been keeping the elements as flexible as possible.
I know matte paintings aren't usually approached this way as this is time consuming, but I've been able to move each plant around as I keep nitpicking and refine the composition by having the plants clearly defined and flexible. It allowed me to experiment like one does when playing with lego!
|Environment block in: Have the colours blinded your eyes yet? Awaiting feedback from my group the next day but I think I might make changes to the matte painting sections, now that I look at this.|
|Changed the composition for the grey areas a bit once again. Spot the difference!|
- Environment colour block in: got Will's feedback and a basic colour plan was needed for basic texturing to take place. Colours will still be subject to change as the lighting needs to be taken to account. I guess the following colours are placeholders (as lighting is not taken into consideration and some things are too saturated in places). I didn't expect that making these placeholder colours would take such a while!
|3D elements only for Will to block in colour appropriately. I forgot to include the side plant|
|The whole background in blocked in colours (too saturated/bright)|
|Placeholder colours now complete with Rex, table and food props|
- Environment lighting plan: painting time! Now I am pushed into defining what I've drawn. I have learned that I need to paint rocks more! Actually, I need to paint more in general (looks around shamefully).
- Environment lighting painting continued as I hope I'm going at it in the right direction
- Brief team meeting on the Cooking with Rex project
- Finally I have decided to post art updates over at my personal facebook instead of my facebook page since Tuesday. Feel free to hit the "follow" button to keep up to date with this blog if you're the facebook kind of person. (: Funny that I seemed set in keeping the facebook page running a few weeks ago but upon realising that since I don't use my personal facebook anyway, I might as well manage updates over there instead and possibly get some feedback from friends I know.
Reflection for the Week
To readers of my blog: Hopefully the way I've laid out my posts make sense to you, the way I write is easy to read and that I've ironed out almost all grammar mistakes, otherwise let me know with some helpful feedback.
Until next time, Leonie