Is this becoming a tag line opening for me now? Maybe!
Week 13 dun dun.
I've mentioned this before.
But I keep wondering who looks and keeps up with my blog. Thank you is what I want to say!
I also wonder who actually *reads* everything I type. As that's entirely a different and special kind of subscriber compared to those who just look at images. So special message to those who do read it *all* that I really appreciate your precious time and that you care enough to keep track of my progress! Most likely you are some kind of friend of mine. So thank you kindly. (:
Still I could be hallucinating that this is being read. I don't know the total amount of people who subscribe here (thank you once again by the way if you are reading right now) since the time I stopped using Feedburner. It's been a huge relief and burden off my shoulders since to not obsess over how many people "subscribe" my blog. Thus I am now solely focused on doing my worklogs or as I call them, art learning adventure journals! /rambling
Let's go crazy! Journal Time!
- sorted out my facebook art page with a slightly more developed profile picture, description and name update. I apparently "work" at this facebook page as a Learner haha
- Train adventures finallyyyy
|Baby, baby facial bits, a baby's foot and then Mother, Baby and Pram. The baby moves too much!|
|Realised there's a lot of spectacles going on here. And a foot going for someone's head.|
|Heads and scary face of doom|
- Turns out one of the pitches I was working on yesterday (9th Tues) is going to be more fully developed as part of my team's project. It involves hilarity that ensues when a T-Rex decides to do his own cooking show. I did not expect that one of my story ideas would be chosen at all as I first assumed that Victor would be sticking to his dynamic, action idea or Will has a better idea in the making. Had to pitch it to the class like everyone else and am now developing it more into written form. I now dub it the Cooking with T-Rex (CwTR) project for now (name pending)! :D I was quite happy to hear that some people liked the idea. I was glad that my team members came up the the meteor ending too (better than what I originally had)!
- Trainnnn adventureeessss:
|Yes you. I am talking to you. There's no one else reading this very sentence right now.|
|Determined resting stance, ready for take off to her destination. Awaiting for your orders, ma'am.|
|I forgot what that weird deformed set of lines at the lower right are. Either I was testing my pen, or they're really writhing worms, or they're actually wrinkled folds I didn't get to finish.|
- CwTR project at one point was about to become Victor's or Will's stories instead which honestly is fine by me but after some review and feedback from our director Heath, we were set on doing CwTR as Will and Victor's ideas required more time/team members to achieve to high quality. So we dived into a crazy story development session together to make the story better and they fleshed out (too much) shots (and crazy gag ideas that will not be used unfortunately) for CwTR. Food (involving fluids) dynamics and effects became a concern.
- Then we had to do a crazy frantic early storyboard animatic. Far from there yet but it's getting somewhere. The following storyboards shown below is Act 3 of the project and it is very confusing. And as expected, we had to cull some scenes!
|Image click to see it clearer. It's really rough and all over the place due to rushing. My sore attempt to draw a T-Rex is also featured here.|
- Collected some style and art references. Roughly greyboxed what the scene would look like and got carried away with the fauna!
- Train adventures!
|A Mrs busy with her phone on her way to work? And some busy music listening guy depressed about his detached leg being shoved in front of his face.|
|Giggling man and Sleepy lady. Bonus: wrinkly arm division.|
|Talking on phones and hand grabbing onto rails.|
|What happens when other people are too occupied. I wasn't even in the train. And I still didn't get called out on drawing people around me. I wonder how high my ninja skills are now.|
|Managed barely to draw some more people on the train once again.|
- CwTR round 2 animatic storyboards I did and there was a lot more to cull and simplify in order to still keep it entertaining and not dragged out. The following storyboards that I did was the last Act once again.
- my part of the CwTR round 3 animatic storyboards I did and we're getting there to the final version (in which Victor is in charge of as Head Animator, Rigger and Visual Effects). Will and Victor did awesome in brainstorming together the gags and we got rid of the majority of the concerns Victor had with the scope. We're all wondering if we can do this in the remaining 5 weeks but it is challenges that makes us grow. Just like how I'm going to tackle getting used to drawing a T-Rex many times in hard to figure out poses.
- Will started concepting for T-Rex as he's the Head of Modeling, Sculpting, Shaders/Materials and Texturing while I was making T-Rex studies from references. I don't know what I'm the head of and I can't say I'm the Project leader as I'd like to think that all of us have equal say. Am I the Art Director/Visual Development/Environment Designer/Modeler? I don't know what I am but it doesn't matter, as getting things done is more important. Only 5 weeks remain now for this project! Daunting!
- Collecting loads of references for the CwTR project and got carried away with looking at jungles, chicken legs, crocodiles, meteors and flora of another era. Have also been spamming a bit at my team with links to possible resources I've found along the way. Can't believe it took the whole day picking out things! Somehow I was getting more excited about all the crazy plant life I get to draw as the background and how I would layer it. I am considering small buzzing dots to give it more life to the jungle. And then I remember I need to design the T-Rex first haha
- Some deep introspection, learning and reviewing what Goal setting is about and planning for myself. I've been busy sorting myself out, realigning some goals once again (as we all should do every now and then). I've found that there's so much to do but it's unrealistic of me to expect to do all of them within a week or even month. However, my plan for this week is to get that T-Rex concepted and an Art style document done for the CwTR project at the minimum.
- Worked on the art style document for CwTR; realised that there's many areas to focus on so it took the whole day. It's done though and as a group we can keep developing it!
- Had fun listening to how the writers at Valve came up with Portal 2 at their talk at GDC 2012
- Struggling to get Photoshop updated and working smoothly but finally got round to doing T-Rex studies after days of research! I ended up staying up real late because time was so tight~!
|Scale and headshot studies. My team will probably see this as me going overboard but this is what works for me in getting the hang of learning to draw something entirely new.|
|More me working out proportions, and the bottom second T-Rex design from the right was originally by Cory Loftis! He's a great Visual Development Artist currently at Disney. Just for learning purposes only as I found his design choices interesting, so I wanted to learn for myself how he chose to simplify when I eyeballed it loosely. So I take no credit for the design itself. Among other things, I did a T-Rex skull study as well. Frontal Chicken comparison too.|
|More studies of various aspects from different perspectives, patterns, teeth, legs, skeletal system|
|Headshots detailed, footprint and leg bones|
|If you're wondering why there's the video recording GUI, it's because Rex films his own cooking show! It fits with the theme!|
- More T-Rex studies...I think I'm getting the hang of it! I need to get down to making concepts of my own too!
|The eye tends to be friendly looking when close up. How to make it menacing...hmm.|
|I had to start adding annotations and inner commentary of the T-Rexes|
|Some Construction shapes and lines and more heads|
|Perspective view of the skeletal system|
|Heads and arm bone notes. I'm doing so many heads I realise! They all look grumpy and angry because that's the direction I'm trying to push.|
|Classy Handbag Rexie and chicken like legs (but they're actually T-Rex legs)|
- Actual concept thumbnails at last! But didn't get much done. Starting to worry!! But will work more on in the next day.
Reflection for the WeekReal glad this week had more train adventures in because I managed to get seats that allowed it.
And...I get to draw T-Rexes. What just happened this week?! Still so much to do!!
More T-Rexes to draw so more of them will come in next week's update!!
Thanks for looking! (:
Until next time, Leonie